Dec 5, 2008

The past week and a half

Thanksgiving was good. I got to hang out with the family, relax a bit and have a good time away from my usual life. I came back on Friday, and Chuckles was still alive and still had food in his bowl.

This week was spent trying to readjust to being back at work after a long weekend. Not too much work, but enough for me to sigh heavily with each new job ticket.

Wednesday night, I went up on open mic night and tried out some new material. Just my luck, I went up first again, and the new stuff got a few laughs, but probably would've done better with a slightly more inebriated audience. The feedback I got from the other comics was really helpful. They all agreed that they were those types of jokes, though good, would fit better in the middle of a long set, and wasn't strong enough to sustain a good opening or closing. Good to know for whenever I get a longer set. I'm performing this weekend, but I'm not so sure I'll try that new material again.

Today, I went for my once-weekly chicken pad thai fix. I went to Pei Wei, placed my order to go (because then I get my complimentary soft drink while I wait). In line behind me were a group of spoiled rich kids on lunch break from Holland Hall, and they were being all obnoxious, like they deserved to be at the front of the line.

Anyway, the lady finally asked me for my order, and walked away half-way through me telling her what I wanted. Turned out, she was trying to ring me up on a register without a till. Still, a "Hang on a second, sir." would've been nice, but anyway...

So, I waited for my food, and when my little restaurant pager went off, I got my food and quickly saw that they had given me chicken lo mein. I informed them of the mistake, and they said that they'd let me have the lo mein for free, and that another order of pad thai was already being prepared for another customer, so they'd fix another one for him.

When the correct order was being handed to me, one of the smug little shits who was in line behind me earlier came up to complain that his order for chicken pad thai was taking too long. I just smiled at the little fucker and walked away. Double karma: Free food for the rude treatment, and denying some rich kid of his convenience. Life is great!

No comments: