Jun 2, 2008

Back in the swing of things

Well, The big project has been printed and delivered, and the expected annual barrage of errors pointed out has amounted to a grand total of one. On one page, a page looked over and triple checked by at least four people, a woman's age got listed incorrectly. She was listed as 20, when she was actually 22. I take pride in the fact that my one slip-up was taken as a compliment.

Now, I'm back on my normal workload, and I am very thankful for that. My only problem is deadlines, which are being met as quickly as I can meet them. My clients are understanding of my situation and I'm glad they are being so flexible. It saves me the time and energy explaining to them that human cloning has been outlawed or that state labor laws prohibit the use of magical pixies.

I've been taking some steps to re-regulating my sleep schedule, but it's proven a bit difficult with my increasingly active social schedule.

Thursday night was my regular Guinness night, and I wound up closing down the bar. It became all too clear how hard I've been working lately with the number of "Long time no see" greetings I got down at Arnie's.

A good friend of mine invited me to tag along on a road trip to Seattle at the end of July. I told him I'd have to check with my boss about taking a week off. Unfortunately, just moments before I was to talk to my boss(es), my assistant put in his two-week notice. Seattle can wait, though. Besides, I'd miss my friends playing at D-Fest.

Friday night was the midnight movie at the Circle, and I enjoyed myself a little Donnie Darko. I had never seen it before, which makes the compliments I received for the poster advertising the screening all that much better. Apparently I don't need to know that much about what I'm advertising to get people to come along with me.

As for the movie, I really liked it. It's the kind of movie I could imagine myself writing...if I had been reading Graham Greene while watching Evil Dead after taking a heroic dose of 'shrooms.

Saturday night was Old Crow Confessions. For the uninitiated, Confessions is like a really drunk town hall meeting. Everyone in attendance is invited to participate, stepping up to take a swig of cheap whiskey and confess their sins, fears, rants and raves in a judgment free environment. I got up a couple time to get a couple things off my chest and it felt great to do so. Sure, I'd like to tell you more, but the rule is that what's said there, stays there.

Sunday night was my debut at Comedy Night at the Nightingale. This being my third time doing stand-up and my third time with all-new material. My challenge to myself is to do one more set of original material before I start repeating myself. This time around, I tackled relationships, and my set went really well. Now, I'm working on a whole set about my troubles finding a new car. It's shaping up pretty well, and I'll be able to try it out when I go up at open mic night next Wednesday.

After the show, we headed down to Caz's for a few post-show beers, and it was a lot of fun. I was still riding on the adrenaline of being on-stage, and, feeling bold, I started hitting on a woman at the bar. True to my shy nature, I didn't take it too far. Just enough to send out a vibe.

About the time I was debating whether or not to go home and get some sleep, a woman walked in that looked a lot like a woman I met very recently. I nudged a buddy of mine who knows the girl I was thinking of and he looked and said that it wasn't her. So, I finished my beer, tabbed out at the bar and lo and behold, it was the girl I was thinking she was. So we chatted for a short while, but I was getting too tired and politely excused myself to get some sleep.

And so, a new work week began this morning, and everything appears to be running smoothly...for now. But, I've gotten used to the fight-or-flight response first thing in the morning, so things should be fine in the long run.

No comments: