Dec 24, 2007

Holiday

I made it through the ice storm. I made it through the power outage. The only thing that was left was for me to get through the delayed freaking out those two little situations bring. It's a little annoying part of my coping mechanism. I wait to completely break down until there's no longer a reason to break down.

It hasn't been all that bad, but with everything else going on in my life all I've wanted to do is sit in my living room and stare at a lit light bulb. But, it's the holidays, so of course, it busy busy busy.

I got to go home early on Friday afternoon and take a much needed nap. That night, ben.ben. was playing downtown, and I got my name on the guest list. I had never heard them play before. It was really good. It was a themed art show/performance art kinda thing. Frank Zappa would have been proud. I really appreciated the performance, almost as much as I did laughing at the folks who had no idea what was going on. Too bad I got tired and pooped out after the first show. I needed to get some more sleep.

Saturday, I slept in for a bit...one of those mornings that you just wanna stay in bed, until the urge to pee gets too great to ignore. So, I got up and started cleaning up the last of the remains of Ice Storm Slob Fest '07. I started by just taking care of the trash and straightening up a bit. It quickly grew in scope to a rearranging of the living room. It was a long time coming, truth be told.

Saturday night was the tacky holiday sweater party at Andey and Pete's house. I didn't have anything particularly tacky, and the ice storm pretty much zapped out my kitschy thrift store budget (if I ever had one to begin with). So, I just threw on my only patterned sweater. People complimented me on my tacky sweater, which kinda hurt me because I wear it quite often. Oh, well.

Sunday was the drive to Little Rock to the folks' house. Four hours with the radio off and nothing but the thoughts I've needed to sort out. It was cathartic. I got to the house with enough time to rest before dinner and presents. My mom got me a few books I've had on my list for a while, plus the new Eagles CD, which I've wanted to buy really bad, but not bad enough to venture to Wal-Mart to get it.

Monday was my day to veg out. We got a visit from my sister-in-law's sister and her husband. He brought his Wii, and we all played around with it for a little bit. He could've just as well give me a small hit of heroin, because now I want a Wii more than ever! Gotta be smart. Car first, then we'll see about the new game system. Adulthood really sucks sometimes.

Tonight, I made a point to go see my brother and his family before they headed out to a dinner party down the street. They kept trying to get me to go with them, even having me help them carry stuff over to the party and introducing me to a few people. I made every excuse I could to leave, because I wasn't feeling that sociable and felt it better to spend time with my family, even if it's just to chat a bit during the Christmas Story marathon on TBS.

Tomorrow, I make my way back to Tulsa, with a couple holiday visits along the way. it really doesn't feel like I've lived the four day holiday to the fullest and completely recharged my batteries, but no worries. I've got another four-day holiday coming up next weekend.

No comments: