Sep 28, 2007

A little down

Most areas in my life stayed at a neutral level this week, but emotionally, it's been a bit of a downer. It's not any one or any thing's fault that I've felt this way. I get in these funks every now and again. Looking back on my life, this depression is fairly mild. It's not one of my sit-in-a-dark-room-listening-to-Peter-Gabriel-nonstop kind of funks, but it's not something I've been able to shake off very easily, either. I've been able to function at work at my normal capacity and I've managed to get everything done that I've needed to, but I've had no desire to do much of what I normally want to do.

However, I've kinda forced myself to do most of those things I usually want to do, simply by virtue of the fact that they've been limited-time offers. For instance, tonight I'm going to the Circle Cinema to see Raising Arizona at the midnight movie. It's only there this weekend, and I don't want to pass up this opportunity to see it on the big screen. Also, it's been season premiere week, and I've made myself watch my shows because I was looking forward to watching them all summer.

Today was better than most days this week. I got to get away from the office and run a lot of deliveries for my boss. It felt good to break my normal routine and get to go outside for a few hours. And the best part is, it was in the company truck, with the company paying for the gas. I would've volunteered to take my truck, but it's been acting up a bit lately and actually broke down temporarily last night. It wound up being a small blockage in the fuel line, but in fixing that, a small leak in the transmission was discovered. I'll be able to get the truck into the shop next week, so in the meantime I'm just monitoring the fluid level and filling it when needed.

I had a huge laugh this afternoon when I stabbed my boss with a letter opener. He handed me a big box to carry for him, but I wasn't fully prepared for the handing over part, otherwise I'd have put down the letter opener first. He walked right into the tip of it, but he wasn't hurt (that letter opener couldn't even cut warm butter). The moment I realized what had happened, my first thought was, "Oh my God! Did I just inadvertently live out my greatest fantasy?" Fortunately, my boss laughed it off.

So now I'm home and surveying the filth that has accumulated in my apartment over the past few days. It's amazing how much this crap piles up when you're in no mood to do anything about it. Oh, well...weekend project, I suppose.

No comments: