Sep 16, 2007

My brief time with the Scots

I made a small mistake this afternoon when I went down to the river parks for the Scottish Games. I forgot to stop by an ATM before I went there. I had just enough cash to pay for parking and admission, but only a couple bucks for anything else. I wasn't too concerned, because any festival in this area has the foresight to have one of the local banks set up a portable ATM on the grounds, right? Wrong.

I take a quick stroll around the festival, looking for the elusive ATM, and I found nothing. I decided to check with the information booth just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Here's the gist of the conversation between me and the man and woman at the booth.

ME: Excuse me, is there an ATM around here?

MAN: I think the closest one is at the convenience store down the street.

ME: But, nothing on the festival grounds? All I got is my check card, which works for merchandise, but I wouldn't mind having a beer or two.

WOMAN: Sorry. Food and drink booths are cash only.

ME: Kinda my point. If they're cash only, wouldn't it make sense to have a cash distribution system in place at the festival? (big smile)

WOMAN: Maybe if we we a bigger festival, we would have one, but we don't. Sorry.

I was about to point out that elementary school carnivals even manage to have the Bank of Oklahoma ATM van parked outside, but it wasn't gonna change the fact that I was gonna have to leave, get cash and come back.

So I do just that, and come back to enjoy the rest of the festival. And considering they took a big hit financially due to poor attendance last year, there wasn't a whole hell of a lot to do at the festival this year.

I had a couple beers while I looked through all of the merchandise. I got me a minced meat pie (Scottish games after all), a Polish sausage (I'm German after all) and a large lemonade (and I'm addicted to sugar). After two hours there, I was ready to leave and take myself a nap.

Another small mistake: forgetting sunscreen. I really didn't feel it until I woke up from my nap on the couch and peeled the corduroy throw pillow from my face. Oh well, a shitload of aloe, and I should be in less pain by the morning.

No comments: