May 14, 2006

63:58

Today, as I clocked out from work, I figured up my hours and I was just two minutes shy of 64 hours this week on my time card. I've had weeks like this in the past (many that were worse...my record is 81 hours in a single week), and almost every time it has nearly killed me with exhaustion. However, I'm feeling really good.

I've had very little sleep this week, but I don't really give a shit. I'm getting a lot of work done, and despite the fact that it's still gonna be a photo finish on this big project we're working on, I'm confident that I'll come through with my sanity on check. I think the reason is that I'm prioritizing my work to allow for some down time...not neccesarily SLEEP, but activities other than work. In the past week, in addition to working 64 hours at my day job, I have managed to:

- Go out with Libby...twice. Gee, she's swell!

- Work my normal six-hour shift at Arnie's.

- Get R2-D2 girl at work to finally quit making her annoying noises...although it's because I pissed her off to the point that she's not speaking to me altogether...but hey....I'll tell you all about this later.

- Made it through the entire first season of 24, two box sets of Mystery Science Theater, Star Wars and The Jerk on DVD while I worked.

- Sorted out all my DVDs and CDs with my roommate in preparation for the big moving sale the first weekend in June.

- Started searching for my next apartment...so far nothing that I like. Anyone in Tulsa that knows of a place in Downtown/midtown for less than $350 a month that takes pets, please shoot me an email.

- Comforted my future cat Chuck through the trauma of having the other two cats go away with my roommate's mom out to the country. I volunteered to take Chuck because...well, he and I are good buddies. Plus all he does is eats, sleeps and uses the litterbox. I admire his low-to-nil-maintenance attitude.

- Made plans to go visit my folks over Memorial Day weekend...even if it's just for Sunday and Monday (I gotta work at Arnie's Saturday night).

- Do laundry.

- See my friend's band play TWICE. Once on Wednesday and once on Friday.

And just how did I make this through? By remembering how I developed my work ethic in the first place. I remembered my mom, and how I would come downstairs and get ready for school and find my mom still awake from the night before and still working her ass off. I remembered Harry Schwartz, my first boss who was the first one to reall crack the whip on me, and teach me to not constantly whine about the work, particularly when I just happen to be wearing a Nike "Just Do It" shirt...he never let me live THAT one down. But perhaps most importantly, I think of my current boss, who is polishing his ass-kicking boot at this very moment just in case I don't get the job done.

No comments: