Nov 17, 2007

Beowulf

I'll try to be brief: If you go see Beowulf, don't fuck around. Go see it in 3-D, preferably in IMAX 3-D.

I've been waiting since 9th grade English class for this movie. Looking back on it now, the epic poem was a chore and a half to read, but well worth it when I finished. I re-read it a few years ago with a different, more reader-friendly translation and fell in love with it again. When I heard that the movie was coming out, I started to read it again, but instead decided to keep my mind somewhat fresh for the film. It was a wise choice on my part.

The technology involved with this movie has come a long way since the Polar Express, and truth be told, I do think they could've waited a couple extra years and let the technology advance just a bit further. But all in all, it is still a massive achievement that blew me away. Which was no small feat considering the ticket lady somehow sold me a ticket for yesterday, the projector broke fifteen minutes in and some jackass set off the exit alarm halfway through. In most instances, that would have sent me into a grand mal seizure of a conniption fit, but the movie more than made up for it.

It took a few minutes to adjust back to reality after this film, not just because of the 3-D effects, but the world that was created for the film. I've been home for almost an hour, and I'm still craving some fire-roasted pork and a stein of mead. Speaking of which, I need to eat some dinner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I forgot to tell you-you might enjoy reading Grendel by John Gardner if you haven't done so already. It's the story from you know whose point of view.