Mar 6, 2007

500 bucks...sensing a pattern, here

Today, we had a client come by to dispute an invoice for a $500 deposit on some stationery. It was a hand-written invoice, and not in the handwriting of anyone who worked for our company. It turns out that the guy we've been working with on some business cards forged a photocopy of one of our invoices to scam the money from his boss. The business cards were up next on the press, so i had time to run a fresh plate with that guy's card deleted from the order. All this happened within thirty minutes.

Speaking of $500, my old landlord is stonewalling me on the security deposit. Unless I can provide him with a signed receipt that I paid the money, he's not refunding the money. More details have come to light, though. The office manager that stole all of the money from him, the lady I paid my deposit to, had not logged in any cash transactions to anyone's record. She just pocketed the money...to the tune of $15,000 over four months. She apparently even took this one out-of-town couple's money for a security deposit, kept it, and rented out the same property to someone else while they were moving their stuff from Arkansas. The trouble I'm really having now is that the landlord isn't even willing to provide me with any information about this woman to try to file charges against her.

So tomorrow, I start making phone calls. I no longer care about the money, so long as he has to pay somebody. I will be satisified if he has to pay out at least the amount he owes me. I will be happier if it cripples his shitty little business. I will be elated if he rues the day he ever said, "Hey, I'm thinking of getting myself some rental property."

Fingers crossed.

No comments: