Apr 29, 2007

Good thing I've got options!

Every once and a while, I see a bulletin on Myspace that states that if I don't repost that message within five minutes, that The friend that posted it will dump me as a friend. As of yet, I have not reposted any of those bulletins. If someone's gonna dump me as a friend, albeit as an online friend, simply because I don't participate in their little chain letter, fine! Fuck 'em!

Despite my distaste for this type of bulletin, I have not been dumped yet. So, I guess I've called their bluff.

The reason I bring this up is because I found a better way to find out who your real friends are on Myspace. Post a bulletin like I did yesterday: Car Trouble - Need help!

I let people know the problems I'm having with the truck. I tell them how third gear is intermittant at best, and that going faster than 45 MPH is a nerve-racking experience. Within five hours, I had 14 messages from friends giving me advice. Most of them gave me advice on how I should just rev it up in second, pop the clutch and shift into fourth...reminding me that I forgot to explain that the truck is an automatic.

A couple of them told me that the transmission fluid might be low, and that filling the fluid back up should do the trick. I was told to add half a quart and try it out. If it worked, then I should add another half-quart and it should be fine. I did this, but I couldn't tell if it was working too well or if I was discovering a system of hitting the gas just right to get it to work a little bit better. I didn't add the rest of the quart because the fluid level on the dipstick was slightly past full at that point.

Another friend told me to just get the transmission flushed and see if that works. This, I have a problem with, because it'll be a waste of money if it doesn't work and I have to take it into the shop anyway and have the fluids dumped then.

The rest of the messages were of the shop recommendation variety. Two of these messages came from out of state. I have a few places I can call tomorrow morning, plus whatever places my bosses might suggest...and get me a discount to boot. I'll have to take a couple hours off to first clean out the weeks of fast-food bags from the cab, then take it around to get a couple estimates. I don't think my bosses will mind too much, because it's not like I won't have enough work to make up the lost time.

I spent some time on the phone with the folks discussing the contigency plans if this turns out to be the death rattle for the truck. I suggested that I just get a scooter. With gas prices rumored to reach $3.50 a gallon by mid-summer, getting 70 miles per gallon sounded pretty tempting. But my mom brought up questions like "What'll you do when you gotta do laundry?" Well, I'll get a laundry bag with shoulder straps. "What about groceries?" Shop light or tag along with a friend. "What about bad weather?" My ass'll be a bit damp. "What if you get a date?" I'm sure this hypothetical date will understand and offer to drive. "But you won't be able to drive to Little Rock on one of those things." Technically, I could get a scooter I could take on the interstate, but it'd take a little longer than my usual four hours. "I just don't think their safe." Maybe so, when I was asking for one when I was fourteen, but I think I can handle one now. "I just don't know..." FINE! I WON'T GET THE DAMNED SCOOTER!

Our little plan to have my stepbrother try to get me one through his wholesale used car contacts turns out to be a wash. He's now back in Little Rock, staying in my folk's garage apartment while he starts a new job there selling NEW cars.

While it helps to plan for the unexpected, I think I've done as much preparation as I possibly can at this point. The speculation as to how much this'll cost has ranged from $1,000 to "How much you got?". I'm done thinking about it for right now.

No comments: