Feb 28, 2007

Yep, I'm getting screwed

Today was the day that I was supposed to finally get back my security deposit. Supposed to. Instead, I show up to his office to the following words: "Do you have a receipt for your security deposit?"

Thirty fucking days it took him to ask me that question. His old office manager sucked at keeping records...mostly to hide the trail of the money she was stealing from him. Now, he's using it an an excuse to screw me over one more time.

I have jumped through every hoop this motherfucker has thrown at me. He threatens to evict me unless I prove that I paid my first two month's rent, and I do it. He threatens to fine me $100 unless I move the items on my "balcony", and I avoid it by pointing out basic logic. His lack of off-street parking leads to my car getting totalled, and I say nothing. I slip on the ice he didn't bother to salt down, and I let it go. I even scrubbed that piece of shit apartment from top to bottom to hold up every part of my end of the bargain, and now he pulls this shit.

Up until now, I have been nice, cordial, and pleasant when I've stopped by their office to check on the progress. Today, it was a controlled explosion. I was stern, I was direct, I was angry, but I didn't flip out. I told them I had to look for my receipt. I've been going through a ton of boxes in my closet, and it looks like it probably got lost in the move. I've given up on the search, but I'm far from giving up on the fight.

Their lack of the most basic organizational skills is not my responsibility. They know I paid the deposit, they wouldn't have ever given me a key if I hadn't. The burden of proof is on them, and all of this will only reflect badly on them if this ever goes to court.

Beside, I already had to prove to them that I paid the deposit when I contested the eviction notice.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna stop by there and tell them that thirty days after the fact is too late to bring this up. I will also tell them that if I do not have my money by Friday at five, I will start making phone calls to Fair Housing, Better Business Bureau, Mayor's Action Committee, all of the local TV stations, and most importantly, an attorney.

No comments: