Aug 8, 2007

The definition of failure is pretty broad

At the end of the work day today, I had to do some brainstorming for imagery on a project. The subject of the project was overcoming failure.

I went to my favorite stock photography site to do a few quick searches. Under the search "overcoming failure", I came across a lot of pictures of people looking really stressed out, plus a couple of the same guy holding a gun to his head...none of them really screamed "overcoming". So, I broadened my search to simply "failure."

5,421 images. Among them were all the images I saw before plus different angles on the same action. However, some of the other shots this time just plain baffled me. For instance, there was a buxom blonde in a bikini on the beach. Surely the girl wasn't a failure, nor was the photographer for getting such a hot woman to pose in a bikini, so I'm left to wonder: Why was failure being used as a keyword here?

There were also shots of the Statue of Liberty, a guy lying on a pile of money, a mountain at sunset, a tall glass of beer, a sepia-toned pic of an electric guitar, and a little girl in pigtails sticking her tongue out. Clearly, these photographers have some issues to work out.

Not that I should criticize them too much. A couple years ago, I had put the words "shaved pussy" in one of my posts just so the blog would get more hits off of one of the more common Google searches.

No comments: