Aug 1, 2007

No food for me, or cash, or much of anything convenient for the next few days

Two lessons learned today:

  1. Before going grocery shopping and filling a cart with stuff, always check your wallet for your debit card.
  2. From now on, stick to the ATMs where you swipe your card, rather than insert it into the machine.

Yes, for the second time in a year, I left my fucking ATM card in one of the fucking ATMs that not only suck your fucking card into the machine, but also shreds said fucking card rather than stores it in a little fucking compartment for easy retrieval by a fucking bank manager when given a simple fucking explanation and shown a fucking driver's license.

So, again I have to wait another 5-7 business days for a new card and will have to live off checks in the meantime. Of course, if I just write a big check out to cash, I should look like a high roller for the next week or so...which might impress my date on Friday.

The funny thing is, I lost my card at an ATM located at the Reasor's on 15th street this morning, and I realized I lost it while trying to pay for my groceries at a Reasor's on Yale! Why did I go to two of the same chain of grocery stores in the same day, much less first thing in the morning? Cute story.

I get out of the shower this morning and hear my cell phone ringing. It was one of my co-workers calling to ask me if I could pick up some half & half on my way in. I agreed, not questioning it at all until I was standing at the dairy case at QuikTrip, where there was no half & half. Everybody in the office uses the non-dairy creamer for their coffee, you know, the big ass tub with the pump that you find at Sam's Club. I call her back and ask why we needed half & half. Turns out my boss brought in a huge carafe from Cafe Cubana for the office this morning. This information not only supplied me with purpose, but also a new-found sense of urgency to get to the office.

Seriously, if you live in Tulsa, and you haven't had Cafe Cubana coffee...get off your ass! You know that scene from Pulp Fiction where Mia Wallace gets the shot of adrenalin directly to her heart? It's kinda like that, only you're drinking really good coffee. It gives me the jolt I need to get through the morning, only I get to savor it instead of holding my nose and chugging the Folgers shit we usually get at the office.

That's part of the reason I left my ATM card behind in the machine. I was in a rush to get to the office for coffee. Although, in hindsight, Maybe I shouldn't have been in that much of a rush considering people were waiting on me to get there with the half & half.

And another silver lining to this story is that I really didn't need all that food I was buying. I ignored the old adage that you should never go grocery shopping when you're hungry, and man oh man was I hungry. I was throwing stuff in my cart that the poor kids who were gonna have to put it all back wouldn't know where they were stocked. I had artichoke hearts, garbanzo beans, Wolfgang Puck frozen pizza, oyster crackers... stuff I don't think I've ever consumed, much less purchased before in my entire life! Imagine what that cart would've looked like if I were stoned!

The really funny thing is, it's now 10:30, and I still haven't eaten. In fact, my hunger went away in the panic of not finding my debit card.

No comments: