Aug 27, 2007

Rough Day

It's somewhat fitting that since Friday is to be my last day as a smoker, that today I'm reminded of one of the reasons I smoke: to be able to go outside several times a day away from whatever is stressing me out at the moment.

And did I ever need to escape. My boss returned from vacation today, and despite my best efforts to avoid his blood pressure spiking to Incredible Hulk levels, nearly everything fell apart. It's like I parked my car at the top of the mountain, stepped out to enjoy the view, and as soon as I could realize I forgot to set the parking brake, the car started rolling towards the cliff. There was no time to jump back in and stop the car in time. Al I could do is watch the car careen off the edge and crash in the valley. Then burst into flames. Then catch the mountainside on fire. Then cause a rockslide. I spent the rest of the day digging myself out from a pile of rocks.

Any given work day, I have a decompression period I must have to purge all of the bullshit I go through during the day. Most days, all it takes is a good episode of the Simpsons. Days like today, however, require something with a little more kick. I made myself a ultra-rare steak, washed it down with a couple of Guinnesses, and skipped through three DVDs, only to watch the most violent scenes. Braveheart, Gladiator, and Saving Private Ryan. I was calming down a bit after those three, but I've had worse days where I also have to throw in Fight Club for good measure. It's times like these when I really regret selling my copy of Black Hawk Down.

No comments: