Aug 30, 2007

Small steps towards big changes

Things have cooled down at work a bit. Partly because my boss has readjusted to being back at work after his vacation last week, and partly because we're heading into Labor Day weekend. Still, I've been going home at night wanting to avoid any human contact so I don't take my frustrations out on other people.

I've been preparing myself for a lot of things this past week. I'm planning to give up smoking on Saturday, so I've been trying to smoke less and savor each cigarette while I can. I've also been getting myself in the habit of eating at home with each meal, to try and save money first and foremost, but also to detox my body from all the shit I've eaten from the drive thru. I've also gone four days with my soda consumption cut to a third of my normal input, substituting it for green tea and water. I've just reached a point that I need to purge the toxins from my body as best I can...to treat my body like a temple rather than just an occasional house of worship, observing only the major holidays.

Also, I'm moving forward on a new creative project. I'm gonna try to organize an art exhibit of local artists, myself included. I have the perfect gallery space in mind, but I haven't been able to get the owner on the phone. I sent an email, she left me a message, I've left messages, but haven't been able to make contact. Once I do, and can get the particulars (cost, availability, etc.), I can move forward on the planning. In the meantime, I'm working on my piece for this show's theme. I'll post more as it develops.

Why did I decide to do this? I've felt that my creative work here lately, even though it's been good and not lacking in the oomph department, a little lackluster. Creatively, I've felt that I've been phoning it in; doing just enough to slightly exceed the clients' expectations, but all the while knowing that I'm capable of doing much, much more. I need to give myself a swift kick in the ass and inspire myself. And I'm not the shiftless kind of guy I was when I got into this business, so I felt the best course of action is to set a solid goal and give it all I got.

Onward and upward, I guess.

No comments: