Sep 17, 2006

A tad overdone

after my last post, I had to get ready to head down to Arnie's. I stepped in the shower, and screamed my head off when the hot water hit the five hours in the sun without sunblock that I used to call a neck. Combined with the feeling of a belly full of 747-sized smoked turkey leg, Guinness and Pepsi, I arrived at Arnie's tacky with aloe, burned skin and burping like crazy.

The silent auction going on that night was a huge success. I started out the night placing a few bids just to inflate the prices. This plan kinda backfired because I ended up winning more than I really wanted. I got the Jaegermeister messenger bag I wanted, but I also got the Guinness cooler/duffel bag and dinner for four at 1974. The bad news, it was all a total of $140. The good news, it's tax-deductible.

I wasn't working the door, but I did help out a little over the course of the night. I watched the door so Amanda the door girl could go watch the band for a little while. I also volunteered to watch the auction items after the auction closed to make sure no one stole anything. It's hard to believe anyone would steal from a charity benefit, but at some point in the night, someone did make off with a couple of baseball hats. What a bunch of savages in this town.

Friday night, when my computer crashed, I vaguely remember slamming my left hand down on my desk. Yesterday, it was still stinging pretty badly. Early this morning, it was hurting like hell. No swelling, no limited mobility, just sharp, sharp pain. I took some ibuprofen, but by the time it kicked in I was unable to fall back asleep...until two this afternoon.

I had originally planned to go into the office today, but I was too tired and needed to rest. I fell asleep on the couch for a couple hours, then moved to my bed and slept until seven. It was time to feed Chuck, and since he wasn't begging for his food like he normally does, I went around the apartment to find him. I checked his normal spots. The kitchen cupbord behind the pots and pans...nope. Under the bed...nope. Behind the couch...nope. Linen closet...nope.

When I did find him, I just had to take a picture. Unfortunately, I left my camera cable at the office, so I wasn't able to download it to post it. He was asleep in the bathroom sink. The hot faucet has a slow leak, so when I lifted Chuck out of the sink, half of his fur was wet. I was just glad that warm water doesn't make a cat wet the bed like it does with humans.

I've been up for three hours now, and I'm ready to go back to bed. Thge bad news is, I gotta finda couple of fresh pillows because after finishing his food, Chuck laid down on my pillows and fell asleep, still with his fur all wet.

In addition to the fatigue and the crazy cat, I had another reason to not want to leave the house. Today is the eighteenth anniversary of my dad's death. I've spent a good part of my waking day in quiet reflection on that. After all these years, I still have a fairly conflicted image of my father. Mostly I try to remember him as I did before he died when I was twelve rather than all of the things I found out about him when I was older.

All in all, he was and still is an influence in my life. There are strengths in his character that I've tried to build on, as well as weaknesses I've tried to avoid. Lately, I've been dealing with more of the weaknesses than the strengths, but I feel I'm on the right path.

No comments: