Dec 13, 2005

Nightmares, toenails and dumb dumb people


I know this is gross and all, but last night as I was going to bed, I stubbed my toe on my desk chair. I flicked the light on to see how bad the damage was...lo and behold, it had torn my toenail out completely. It surely looks worse than it feels. In fact, it doesn't hurt at all. Of course, if you had a choice of which part of your body to suddenly lose, this would be the one.

I had a really screwed-up dream last night. Nothing was happeing in the dream, it was just me in my house doing absolutely nothing. However, I had this intense feeling of dread. That was the dream: Just me hanging around the house scared shitless over absolutely nothing. I even woke up in a cold sweat.

Work today was hectic, but productive. I actually heard my boss scream at another employee. I'm used to him being angry, but this was more explosive rage than his usual shit-fit anger. All I could do was close the door to my office, hope I wasn't next on his list, and pray to God he didn't get that concealed weapon permit he was talking about a couple months ago. [please file this paragraph under the "Nightmares" part of the headline, rather than the "dumb dumb people" section.]

Having very little money in the bank, I opted to hit the Chinese buffet for lunch. All you can eat for six bucks? The joke's on them! While I was scarfing down my sesame chicken, I started listening in on the conversation these two guys were having in the next booth. Everything they talked about was current events, but I had the feeling they both just read the headlines and not the actual articles that followed them. If it weren't for the southern drawls and the lo mein, I'd swear I was watching Fox News.

One thing that caught my attention was their debate over a new ski resort that opened in the Middle East (which is true). I kept hearing things like "How do you have snow in the desert?" and "How're they gonna make any money off of that?" and "Them people worry me." After about five minutes of listening to this drivel, I asked for my check in lieu of turning around and explaining to these hicks, "It's indoors, you morons. They build a ski park indoors. They make their own snow. Did you ever stop to think that they'd figure this stuff out before they try to open up a ski resort in the middle of the fucking desert?!? Did you honestly think that wouldn't be a crucial part of their proposal for a business loan?!? Now, eat your egg rolls and shut the hell up, would you please?"

You see, some days I look back on moments like that and say I took the high road, kept my mouth shut and simply left with my dignity intact. However, in this case, I consider that more of a chickenshit move. I like to consider myself a pretty open-minded guy, but this had nothing to do with their opinions. Some people truly just don't know what the hell they're talking about, and damn if that doesn't stop them from talking anyway.

No comments: