Feb 19, 2006

Taking care of business (and working overtime)

It's been a few days since my last post, but with good reason. With the amount of work I've had at the office, the last thing I've wanted was to look at a computer screen, even for fun.

I've had plenty of opportunity to unwind, and I've savored every moment. Arnie's Bar on Thursday night was fun as usual. Friday night was the Great Guinness Toast and I braved the snowstorm to make it down for that. Saturday, I slept in and spent the afternoon at the office catching up on my work.

Half of the work I had to do was on my co-worker's computer, and apparently she hasn't ran any dianostics on it since she started there two years ago. I did what I could and left diagnostics running overnight. Between the snow Friday night, the sleet yesterday and the freezing rain today, coupled with the worn tires on my car, it was a fun ride into work this afternoon.

The crazy season of work is gonna hit us this week, and for the most part, I'm ready. Given the fact that my W-2 for this year says that I made $800.00 less this past year than the year before (even WITH a raise), I'm gonna embrace my bosses advice to slow down in my work. Overtime is my new mantra. Need money BAD.

With the amount of overtime I've pulled this week, I should be able to afford tickets to see the Strokes with my friends in March. The timing couldn't be more perfect. I'm gonna be out of the office at the end of march, and I'll have to pull extra weight to cover the amount of work left in my absence. My friends coming to town for the show will no doubt be a welcome distraction from the stress I'll be under at that time.

Not to mention that two of those friends, Mike and Aliceson will be getting married this spring. I told Mike that with the workload I'll be having, that he shouldn't be surprised if I show up at the wedding looking like a battle-hardened orc.

No comments: