Oct 1, 2006

Okay, you're forgiven for "Your Body's a Wonderland"

I went and picked up John Mayer's new CD "Continuum" over the weekend. I gotta say, the parts I love I really love and the parts I don't are really growing on me.

I'm so glad he took some time away from the pop stuff to experiment with blues and jazz. It works out really well on his new album. The lead single "Waiting on the World to Change" kind reminds me of 60's R&B. Plus there's a lot of good blues riffs all over the place. There's even a pretty good cover of Hendrix's Bold as Love that simultaneously fits in with the rest of the album and doen't trash the original version.

This is a turning point for John Mayer, in my opinion. In the liner notes, he praises Eric Clapton for being his idol. Wise move, because most of today's artists that have openly tried to emulate their idol's careers have really missed the mark. Case in point: Kid Rock playing with Hank Willimas, Jr. Sorry, Kid, but the only wisdom Bocephus has to offer anyone is limited to football preparedness and drinking bourbon without using a glass.

There's one song on this new album that I've had to leave on repeat for a while today. It's called "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room" The song is amazingly well-produced, but it's the lyrics that just killed me. It sounds like it came from a devastating heartbreak, one that we all can relate to.

They played a snippet of it on this week's episode of CSI:, and while the tone of the music fit, the lyrics felt really out of place. Do the producers of that show even listen to the words anymore? Read this and tell me if in a million years you'd have someone singing this while Marg Helgenberger gives herself a sexual assault examination:

It's not a silly little moment.
It's not the storm before the calm.
This is the deep and dyin breath of
this love that we've been workin on.
Can't seem to hold you like I want to,
so I can feel you in my arms.
Nobody's gonna come and save you,
we pulled too many false alarms.

We're goin down,
and you can see it, too.
We're goin down,
and you know that we're doomed.
My dear,
we're slow dancing in a burning room.

I was the one you always dreamed of,
you were the one I tried to draw.
How dare you say it's nothin to me?
baby, you're the only light I ever saw.

I make the most of all the sadness.
You'll be a bitch because you can.
You try to hit me just to hurt me
so you leave me feelin dirty
'cause you can't understand.

We're goin down,
and you can see it, too.
We're goin down,
and you know that we're doomed.
My dear,
we're slow dancing in a burning room.

Go cry about it why don't you?
Go cry about it why don't you?
Go cry about it why don't you?
My dear, we're slow dancin in a burning room.
Don't you think we oughta know by now?
Don't you think we shoulda learned somehow?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting that he thanks Eric Clapton since one of the songs on Clapton's new CD is written by John Mayer.

Something to think about...

--Candy