Jul 15, 2006

All I need to know I learned from the movies

During my latest meditation on trying to find some deeper meaning in my life, I made the mistake of staring in the direction of my DVD shelf. Instead of looking inward, I focused on the movies, and what they all mean to me. So, I have now compiled a list of quotes from my favorite movies...things that I find have meaning (with a little help from the Internet Movie Database):

"One man's mundane and desperate existance is anothe man's Technicolor." -Strange Days

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long." -Blade Runner

"Lord loves a workin' man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it." -The Jerk

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." -Back to the Future

"No reason to stop being a lady." -As Good as It Gets

"It's not who I am that defines me, it's what I do." -Batman Begins

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Lord of the RIngs

"Hate is baggage. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time. It's just not worth it." -American History X

"You know how I was supposed to feel. That person isn't me... never was. You wanted to know what it was about us that made us human. Well, you're not going to find it...[points at his head] ...in here. You were looking in the wrong place." -Dark City

"I don't know anyone who could get through the day without two or three juicy rationalizations. They're more important than sex." -The Big Chill

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Return of the Jedi

"My mom always says that, when she can see I'm like working something out in my head, she's like, 'you're in it right now' and I'm looking at you're telling this story, and you're definitely in it." - Garden State

"Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule." -Clerks

"I think that I am familiar with the fact that you are going to ignore this particular problem until it swims up and bites you on the ass." - Jaws

"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." - The Day the Earth Stood Still

"That's why you were standing in the chancellor's backyard spinning that "cap gun" of yours. You're fine. Yeah, you're just as fit as a fuckin' fiddle." -Wonder Boys

"Resistance is not futile, we're gonna win this thing, humankind is too good, we're not a bunch of under-achievers! We're gonna stand up, and we're gonna be human beings. We're going to get fired up about the real things, the things that matter! Creativity, and the dynamic human spirit that refuses to submit." -Waking Life

"You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry, you will someday." - American Beauty

No comments: