Jul 5, 2006

Fatass cats are non-stop entertainment


Having a cat is proving to be a unique experience. I haven't needed an alarm clock because there's always a whining meow crying out for his food in the morning. At night, he's always waitning for me to lay down on the couch so he can jump up in my lap.

Last night, he woke me up by sitting on my head. I felt kinda bad for freaking out like I did because he ran off like a bat out of hell when I woke up. Things were better this morning, though. I guess he either forgot about it or realized that if the tables were turned, he's freak out too if I sat on his head when he was trying to get some sleep.

After a rough day like today, Chuckles gave me just the laugh I was needing. In this new apartment, he has three spots he likes to hang out at. The first is in the linen closet. He jumps up to the first shelf above the drawers and hides out behind the towels. It's like his own little fort back there. The second spot is under the bed, which is usually where he goes when he's spooked. The third place is the computer chair.

This was Candy's chair, and back at the duplex Chuck spent at least 14 hours a day sitting there and clawing at the arms. Back then, the chair was always on carpet, so when he jumped in the chair, the most it would do was swivel. I have hardwood floors at my new place.

As soon as I got home, I called out for Chuck and he came running from the bedroom and took a running leap into the chair. The force of 17 pounds of cat at full stride caused the chair to slide halfway across the room and hit the wall. Upon impact, Chuck turned around and started attacking the wall. This caused the chair to lside out from under him and Chuck fall down, go boom.

I was laughing my ass off, even more so after Chuck tried to play it off like that didn't just happen. I was so impressed, I had to give him some extra kibble.

About an hour later, he was chasing a spider scross the living room and bumped into my CD rack, dumping them all on the floor. For such a fatass, he got out of the way of the falling CDs just in a nick of time.

On one hand, I wonder if he's getting a little stir crazy (I can relate) since he hasn't been outside since he got here. On the other hand, this latest trend is funny as hell. I should let him outside for a little bit, but I'm afraid he'll lose his comedic edge. Letting him outside would be like putting Lenny Bruce in rehab.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting up the pic of Chuckles. I miss my babies. I need your address so I can mail him some presents I've gathered from hippie land. Thanks again for providing a nurturing home for my babycat.-candy