Nov 4, 2005

Diggin' on the Fritschter


I love my friends, but they are sneaky little shits sometimes. I was at Arnie's to see Cairde Na Gael play, hang out with my friends, drink some tasty alcohol...typical first and third Thursday. The other thursdays are the same, only without Cairde playing.

A good friend of a friend was sitting at the table with us. A woman I've known for a couple years now, but really haven't had a chance to get to know very well. The thing is, every time we're around each other, we always have shared these goofy, shy glances. At one point in the evening, I was getting up from the table to have a smoke out front at the same time she was pulling her cell phone out of her purse. Me being the goofy little bastard, I looked at her and held my thumb and pinky up to my head and mouthed the words "hey, call me" in a kidding fashion.

Lo and behold, I'm standing outside, and she actually calls me. Because of the music, I couldn't hear what she was saying and vice versa, so I rejoined her at the table. Once there, she and I start texting each other from across the table, and not only were we being totally indiscreet about it, we were joking about the fact that we were sending text messages from three feet away.

Anyway, about my sneaky-assed friends. Each one of them made their excuse to leave the two of us alone at the table. She and I chatted for a while, saying everything we could to keep from going "TEE-HEE-HEE!" It was cute as hell.

She was getting tired, so I walked her to her car. On the way out of the bar, every one of my friends gave me the "GO FOR IT!" look. But all we did was walk to her car, make some small talk and hugged good night.

This could turn out to be very interesting. My friends are cheering me on...according to them, she has a thing for the Fritschter. I've got a good feeling about it, by way of the fact that I'm scared completely shitless. In my experience, when I feel like I can rest on my laurels, that's when the shit hits the fan. Complete panic is the secret to my success.

No comments: