Nov 24, 2005

NO MORE FOOD, PLEASE!

On a subconscious level, I planned my Thanksgiving dinner to allow for maximum discomfort afterwards. Plenty of hormone-laden turkey to put me in a persistant vegetative state, stuffing and mashed potatoes for fullness, asparagus and deviled eggs for chemical-weapons-grade gas, and honey ham and gravy for that icky greasy feeling in the back of my throat. No need for celery sticks and carrots...those are just empty vitamins. Oh, boy was it gooooood.

My neices and their cousins all got their uncle Dan fix for the day. I played with them before dinner and watched the Polar Express with them tonight. Good flick. My only complaint is that they were able to give so much dteail to things like the hair on their heads, but their mouths just creeped me out. Robert Zemeckis' next film I've been told will be the same computer animation, but it will be BEOWULF. Where does the line for tickets start?

We all watched a marathon of the World Series of Poker over the course of the day. One of the players that made it to the final round was fun to watch. At first, he kind of irked the shit out of me because he was one of those players that wears his sunglasses upside down, either as a psyche-out tactic or a good luck ritual. But as I watched on, he turned out to be a really complex guy. He was from Ireland, and after a crushing loss in a tournament years ago, he kinda snapped and joined a Buddhist monastery. A Buddhist poker player...hmmmm...

He had all of his buddies cheering him on as only the Irish can. I didn't catch which place he came in, but I do know he didn't win the top prize. The entry fee was $10,000. Over 5,000 people entered the tournament. The grand prize was $7.5 million. Anyone who made it to the final table was guaranteed one million dollars. From what I understand, only the top ten percent of the players ever saw any prize money. They told a story of one guy who lost all of his money on his first hand. Ten thousand dollars gone in less than five minutes. Ten thousand dollars would solve all of my financial problems...I couldn't even imagine risking it all on one hand of poker...then again, I'm a chicken-shit with a horrible poker face.

No comments: