Jun 10, 2007

The five-day hindcast

Wednesday

The spider bite kept me up almost all night, leaving me with a total of 4 hours of sleep. I spent most of the night trying to keep the bite on ice, but the only ice I had left in the freezer was one of those ice-chest gell freezepacks that was all bunched up. So I spent most of the night finding the right nook and cranny that would cover the bite just right and hold it in position with an ace bandage. My finger kept slipping and I'd wake up again when the numbness would fade. The pain was manageable by mid-morning, though.

Work was fairly hectic. Lots of struggling to stay on top of things, which was hindered by the fact that our office manager had to go to Florida for her daughter's soccer tournament right in the middle of the busiest week of the year...which I think is beyond euphamisms at this point: It's a beauty pageant. I'd mention it by name, but I'd like to keep my job.

I got home at a reasonable hour Wednesday and cleaned up the apartment. While sweeping up, I found a dead spider...boo fucking hoo.


Thursday

More scrambling to replenish stock for the pageant's merchandise booth, and I got the word from my bosses that I'd have to run the booth on Friday night. To prepare for this, I had to hang out at the booth Thursday night to get oriented with everything. It was pretty much five hours of hanging out for about 2 1/2 hours of actual work.


Friday

Much like Wednesday and Thursday during the day, only that I didn't have the luxury of simply handing the stuff over for someone else to take care of. No, it all rested on my shoulders. It wasn't that bad, though. I had to deal with a few crazies, but everyone seemed to be in a fairly good mood.

Working the booth Thursday and Friday, I got to have frequent smoke breaks, which afforded me ample time to gaze out on the campus of Oral Roberts University. For those of you unfamiliar with that campus, let me just put it this way...Imagine giving a 6-year-old ADD sufferer a protractor and a ruler and asking him to design the future. The architecture was out-of-date when it was built, so it is timeless in a fucked-up sorta way. Still, the whole place seemed like a rejected location for Logan's Run.

I got home around 11:00 and I got caught up on my DVRed shows before passing out on the couch.


Saturday

Quite possibly the most perfect day I've had in a while. I got up fairly early to see Three Penny Upright at the Cherry Street Farmer's Market. It was a bit surreal given the fact that the Gay Pride Parade was going on at the same time...Listening to live folk music while drag queens rode ATVs down the street behind them.

After the market, I had coffee with Mary and Amy, which led to us going to a matinee of Knocked Up (I'll write a review tonight), which led to hanging out at Amy's place for a bit, then to Claremore for an awesome dinner at the Hammet House complete with the best cream pie in the world, then to Skiatook to see the Electric Rag Band. All in all, the joy outweighed my fatigue.


Sunday

Recovery, grocery shopping, cleaning, and going to the office to clean out the plate processor. A liesurely full day.

No comments: