Jan 29, 2006

Delayed feeling of stupid

Well, shit. I thought that the laptop survived the drop with no problems other than the disk drive. That was, until yesterday afternoon, when I went to start it up and the monitor wouldn't come on. Upon closer inspection, the screen was working fine, except for no backlighting.

My boss is gonna flip, so all morning today, I went into hyper-save-my-ass mode. I knew I had a monitor adapter for this thing somewhere, and my roommate had a monitor she wasn't gonna be using. The trouble was, I couldn't find the adapter. After turning the place upside down, cleaning out my car, and a mild freak-out. I reserved myself to the idea that I'd have to go buy a new adapter. Then , I decided to look around one last time, and found it stuck in the back seat in my car.

So, I'm taking the monitor into the office tomorrow, and I'll have to explain to the boss that it's no longer a laptop...it's a portable desktop. For home use, I have an adaptor for the TV.

I'm not hoping for any miracle that could bring back the light on the screen, so I'll have to adjust to this new way of working. My boss won't be pleased, but I'll just explain to him that in a few short weeks, I'll be able to pay the whole thing off and it won't be his problem anymore.

As for me, I'll just see this as a step towards my next computer. When I get my next one, the laptop will go into the clost with my old iMac. I'll just make sure that my next computer will be maxed out on everything, brand-new and stationary. I won't be taking chances of dropping the next one.

No comments: