Jan 31, 2006

Politics as usual

Today was a little bit hectic. I've been heeding my boss' advice about taking my work a little bit slower and in the respect of fewer mistakes, it's been working. However, I still need to work harder on keeping jobs from overlapping, which is just frustrating as hell. I can't seem to make much headway on one job if another job comes in that forces me to stop what I'm doing on the first job. I know I'll figure it out soon enough, but today was not that day.

I got home and made myself a chicken dinner that couldn't be beat (a little something for you Arlo Guthrie fans out there). After dinner, I relaxed a bit before watching the State of the Union speech. Ordinarily, I find myself getting so irate watching Bush try to justify his policies that I just shut off the TV halfway through. Tonight was different. I watched the whole thing. And, to keep myself from tuning it out, I kept a score sheet. During the speech, Bush said the following words this many times (by my count):

September 11th: twice
Al Qaeda: 3 times
Evil: twice
Terror/Terrorist: 17 times
Freedom: 15 times

And for the first time ever in a State of the Union speech, the word BUD was mentioned. Granted, it was a man's name, but you know there were a few people from the pot legalization lobby out there going, "He he, he said 'bud'."

I also noticed Bush's involuntary jaw twitch about twelve times. There may have been more, but the camera wasn't on him the whole time. Does the White House have a neurologist on staff that can check into that? It's getting pretty damned creepy.

All in all, I wasn't impressed. Same shit, different time slot. The message I got from it all was that the President wishes to end the partisan bickering, but still believes that his policies are the only way to go. Thank God for term limits, that's all I got to say.

No comments: