Jan 11, 2006

So bored

One employee out sick, one at a funeral, one out to lunch and both bosses gone out to meetings. I'm alone in the office and the phone isn't ringing. I'm caught up on my work and I don't know what to do with myself.

A few years ago, this state of nothing-to-do would be sheer heaven. But somehow, I've developed a work ethic that requires me to be in fourth gear any time I'm on the clock. Any goofing off tends to make me feel guilty. Even posting on my blog is making me a bit paranoid.

What do I have to worry about? My boss doesn't really care about internet usage at work as long as the work is done. Besides, any problems he can have with recreational activities would be a bit hypocritical. He can't complain about aht web sites I check out because come closing time we hear hysterical laughter coming from his office over the latest girls on trampoline or random guy getting hit in the nuts video he just downloaded. We don't drug test our employees because my boss, in his youth, had tried/done/sold every mind-altering substance known to man. To hear stories of his teenage years, one wonders how he's still alive and NOT in a prison cell.

This is how our business works sometimes. Everything comes in waves. Last week was a tsumani, today is a ripple, and I'm just sitting on my surfboard in the water waiting for the waves to pick up.

Oh, well...I guess I'll find something more constructive to do.

More later.

No comments: