Jan 2, 2006

New Year's Fallout

I got an email from Other Guy today, wherein he apologized for overreacting and explained his side of the situation. I wrote him back telling him I was finding out about all this stuff after the fact, and that had I known, I would've done things a bit differently (though I really couldn't make any promises to that effect). He seemed to offer a no-hard-feelings olive branch, but I have a sneaking suspicion this might just end up being a General Hospital-type cliffhanger towards more drama down the road. However, this will not sway me from my present course.

I'm gonna try to take her out to dinner sometime this week. She and I were probably gonna do something tonight, but she text messaged me letting me know she had to go help out a friend tonight. No biggie, I've got some stuff to tend to at the house.

Currently, I'm freeing up some space on my MP3 player. It's got 15 GB capacity, and I've been running with about 300 MB free space for the good part of the last year. Tonight, I backed up everything I knew I wasn't gonna be listening to anytime in the near future. Over 4 GB of one-hit-wonders, single songs, and stuff I only kept around in case someone complained about what I was playing..."Oh, not a big fan of Coldplay, huh? How about the theme from the Fall Guy over and over again?"

This afternoon, I was suffering from cabin fever, so I went to catch a flick. My buddy Nate came through town on Friday, and he highly recommended Munich, so that was what I went to see. Not exactly the feel-good movie of the season, but it is one of the most powerful films I've seen in years. I've heard about a lot of the controversy surrounding the film, from both sides of the Palestinian/Isreali conflict pissed off that the film portrays their enemies in a sympathetic light. I seriously think they're missing the point. The point of the film is an eye for an eye only makes the whole world go blind. It's a powerful message in these times, where we as a society we are torn over our feelings about the war. The film demonstrates that no matter how justified you think you are in bringing violence towards your enemies, it only brings more violence...that if you cut the head off the monster, a meaner, nastier head will appear in it's place.

One of the film's flaws, and I understand there's no way to fix this without being preachy as hell, but it really offers no solutions, only the consequences for shooting first and asking questions later. Oh, how I wish that in this new year, we can come at least a step closer to figuring it all out and a step away from blowing each other to smithereens.

No comments: