Oct 18, 2005

Hard truths

You'd think that I'd learn by now not to discuss my financial woes with my parents. Last week, I told them of my little adventure in mortgage application. Tonight, my mom asked me to consider the possiblity of moving down to Little Rock, living with them, getting a better paying job and get my credit back on track.

Tough call. While my job isn't the highest paying job in the free world, it's stable. As much as I want to help fix my finances, it's a huge risk to pack up and start my life anew in another state. I have built a life here in Tulsa. If I were to consider any type of move, It'd be back to northwest Arkansas where I have friends. I love my family, but aside from them, I don't know anyone there.

Besides, there are too many unstable variables. What if I get a good paying job, something I like, only to get laid off in six months. This is a fickle business. Once the economy takes a nosedive, the first part of any business' budget to get cut is advertising. Combine this with the fact that any schmuck with a computer thinks that's all it takes to work in this field. I have a degree in graphic design, I have worked in this field for over eight years, and I have lost count of how many people I've met that make a better living at this than me and have never even heard of Photoshop!

But like I said, my job is stable. As far as my livelihood is concerned, I'm playing it safe. When it comes to my career, it's good to have a four years with the same company, but it's not the kind of experience most graphics employers will be looking for. I need to take a big risk, but I need to formulate a backup plan before I do.

I'm staying put for now, but I need to make certain changes. The belt not only needs to be tightened, but supplemental income may be in order. A second job. All because I was so incredibly stupid in my younger days.

No comments: