Oct 16, 2005

Two days, two states, two worlds

The drive into Fayetteville on Friday was fairly uneventful. I had about 20 CDs in the car with me, but the stereo stayed off for most of the ride. I just wanted to think for a while...something I'm learning to take stock in a lot here lately.

Once in town, I met up with Nate and Mike (groom and best man, respectively) at the church. I helped them take care of the last minute preparations. I probably should've waited to change into my dress clothes until after the kegs needed to be unloaded. That way, I wouldn't have spent most of the night with a thin, visible layer of sweat all over me the whole night. Not that any of my friends cared. They were just so happy to see me, and vice versa.

The wedding itself was a trip. The chapel had a rule: No photographs were allowed of the actual ceremony in order to preserve the sanctity of the exchanging of the vows. Good rule, very logical. However, in order to get photos of the actual wedding, we had to sit there as the wedding party exited the chapel, then walked right back in to reinact the whole thing. It was surreal. My friend Tommy and I treated like a new DVD. Watch the movie, then watch it again with director's commentary. "It took Nate about 20 take to get the kiss just right. We originally shot this in a Synagogue, but we changed it to a chapel in post-production. The studio wanted us to digitally replace the bouquets with walkie-talkies..."

The reception was a blast. I got caught up with a lot of my friends, and at times it felt like I had never left them. I had to explain the breakup about two dozen times, but I was getting good at the abridged version.

Saturday, I slept in until about noon. A bunch of us met up for lunch, then I went driving around with Mike and Aliceson all afternoon. On a side note, Rogers, Arkansas, has a casket outlet store. Hidden in a strip mall, there is a store where you can go in and pick from an assortment of custom made caskets, including a Harley-Davidson model with black leather lining, a hot pick "Princess" themed number, and one decorated in camoflage, inside and out. Ponder that for a moment, won't you? Six feet under ground, would it still need to blend into a wooded area?

I wanted to stay for another night, but I had to get back home to catch Larkin and Cairde Na Gael down at Arnie's. I had a few beers, talked with my friends, and closed down the bar.

Today, I rest.

No comments: