Oct 9, 2005

Mood movies

My good friend Mary has a daughter who is 12. You'd never guess it by talking to her. Her sweetness is matched only by her incredible intelligence. You can talk to her for hours and find yourself outwitted moreso than you would talking to someone your own age. Anyway, whenever she see me, she gives me these huge bear hugs. The only reason I bring it up is because, at the wedding last night, I think she may have cracked one of my ribs while hugging me.

I am exhausted, physically and emotionally. For reasons that are beyond me, I got home from the wedding last night and put in the movie Memento. I realized that this kind of movie/event thing happens to me quite often. I will sit down to watch a movie that is, at first glance, the polar opposite of everything that is happening to me at that moment. But what I'm always pleasantly surprised is the meaning I gather from watching that particular movie at that particular time.

I remember sitting down the night of the tenth anniversary of my father's death. I had already had a few beers, well on my way to getting really drunk all by myself. I thought the movie Blade Runner would be a good distraction. However, I got into the themes of mortality, and how we all have a very short time on this world. No matter how hard we try to avoid it, death is unavoidable. There was a line from that movie that rang true to me (even though it could've been the beer making it more profound), "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very very brightly." It helped to put everything in perspective.

Last night, Memento got me thinking about memory, and the little things you take for granted. Memories change over time. The memories I have from my childhood (thought few and far between) are generally viewed through rose-colored glasses, or through tunnel vision. A lot of my early life I missed because I was too busy focused on other things. What has changed in me as an adult is that everyone in my life today has had a long history with me. I cannot think of anyone in my life now that I haven't known at least a year. I see all of them quite often, and I am reminded of this long history I have with each of them. Most of them good, some bad, but the bad ones are easily overlooked. Water under the bridge or collectively swept under the rug, you be the judge. Wow, three cliches in one sentance. I'm gifted.

I sence a little phase catching on with me. I'm starting to see little lessons in everything today as a result of my thoughts during the movie last night. I find myself getting lost in Monsters Inc. and deconstructing the friendships of animated monsters. I need to just shut off the TV.

No pic today. I'll try to get off my ass and get some more pics soon.

No comments: