Dec 8, 2006

Adjustment in attitude

It's hard enough to deal with your own insurance company, but dealing with someone else's insurance company is a completely different kind of frustration. Just getting someone to actually talk to you is next to impossible. Once you actually talk to someone with a pulse, you get the weird feeling like they're somehow sliding a finger up your ass through the phone line. It's not exactly anal rape, but it's damned close, and you sure as hell don't want to know what's coming next.

Long story short, because I'm so sick of thinking about it, is that my car should be getting inspected and in the shop Monday...or at least it had better be in the shop on Monday or I'm hiring a lawyer. I'm just sick of thinking about it for now.

In other news, I have given up sodas. I've gone two weeks and I've only had one Dr. Pepper...and it made me feel like shit afterwards. Note that I haven't given up caffeine. Green tea has become my new best friend.

I think of it as an experiment. I've been a three-plus soda a day guy for as long as I can remember. And seeing as I've been at least fifty pounds overweight for about that same time. At 300 calories per can, do you think there's a connection? No sugar, no sweetener, no creamer, just green tea, black coffee, water or when I have to have something sweet, juice.

I've been feeling really good as a result. No sudden drops in my blood sugar, no heightened anxiety, and a surprising amount of energy. I credit this new choice in lifestyle for my ability to stay on the phone with the insurance people without wanting to kill something slowly.

Working the door last night, I did have a few flare-ups. A guy came in with his girlfriend, walked right past me and stood about five feet away from me...without paying the cover charge. There were people coming in, so I had to yell at the guy to get his attention. He acted like he didn't hear me, so I yelled again, "HEY! Three dollar cover, man!"

He turned around and shot me a dirty look, saying, "I heard you the first time."

"Well, then, acknowledge me the first time, buddy."

"I did."

"Whatever. Three dollars."

He reached for his wallet and shoved three dollars at me. His girlfriend gave him a little shove and told him not to be such a dick. I repeated her statement in the worst fuck-you tone I could, and for a moment, I thought the guy was gonna deck me. Then his girl turned his body towards the bar and gave him a little shove. She took a step away, but then turned to me and asked, "He didn't even pay for my cover, did he?"

I shook my head no. She fumbled around in her purse and handed me three bucks, rolling her eyes. She met up with her boyfriend at the bar and smacked him in the back of the head.

And I smiled.

No comments: