Dec 26, 2006

Music, movies and introspection

Tonight, after work, I stopped by Target to cash in a gift card, and take advantage of some of the after-Christmas savings. It appears that half of Tulsa had the same plan. Pickings were rather slim, but I picked up a tuner for the guitar, a couple of DVDs, a shirt and a jacket.

Once I was home, I tuned the guitar and attempted to learn my first chord. Three more chords and I should be able to join any of the bands I hear on 104.5.

Two things concern me at this point: 1) I never realized just how tender my fingertips were, but if I keep it up, I should form the calluses needed to play the guitar correctly. and 2) maybe I'm just a clumsy beginner, but my fingers may be to stubby to play guitar. Attempting an A chord, I looked a palsy victim.

I popped in the first of the two DVDs, Fahrenheit 9/11 and it wouldn't register on my DVD player. I smell a conservative conspiracy plot here. I tried it about ten times, but nothing. So, I put in the other DVD, Clerks II. I watched it with one of the commentary tracks, and I was a bit disappointed. Usually, Kevin Smith's commentary tracks are funnier than the movies themselves, but not this time. I'll give the other commentary track a shot before I give up all hope.

I remember posting about this time last year about reaching the elusive square two, instead of constantly finding myself back at square one. Today, I had time to reflect and let it sink in that I'm now debt-free. I'm labeling this time in my life square three.

Many new adventures await me. On the other hand, while watching Man Vs. Wild on the Discovery Channel, I'm reminded that I gotta take baby steps. You won't see me air-dropping into the Alps anytime soon, folks.

No comments: