Dec 31, 2006

Onwards and upwards

"Peaks and valleys." That's what my mother always told me when I'd start telling her about my troubles in life. I've seen my fair share of valleys...spiritually, romantically, financially, etc. I've even been in a few deep trenches, canyons and crevices, but I've never really known the peaks she's spoken of until very recently.

For most of the past year, I've been standing at the base of a tall cliff. I knew this was the end of the valley, but to reach the top I'd have some climbing to do. No rope, no harness, just my bare hands and lots of friends and family cheering me on. Well, after climbing for a while, I've found a path at a shallow incline that will alow me to stride casually for a while.

For the new year that is coming in just a few hours, I intend to take my time and enjoy the view on the way to the top of the peak, installing handrails along the way to keep me and those who come after me from falling back into the valley.

This is my thirtieth new year, and at my age, it's acceptible to not believe in resolutions. Any great change in my habits and my ways will come naturally and not because it coincides with changing the calendar on the wall. Financially, my plans are already in motion. Spiritually, I'm already in check. Romantically, I'm open to whatever happens next, but I'm not gonna force the matter because that's what has gotten me in so much trouble thus far.

All I need to worry about me is the path before me. I'm free to move at my own pace, and that's what I plan to do. Onwards and upwards.

No comments: