Dec 2, 2006

The Pick of Destiny

I just got home a little while ago from seeing Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny. It was a great little flick. I was laughing the whole way through, even gasping for air at times because I was laughing so hard.

How can I describe it? If you know nothing about Tenacious D going into it, you might not get it. If you know about them but aren't big fans, you'll probably be checking your watch several times. If you like them, you're gonna have a blast.

Hollywood should really take note when it comes to this movie. If you're gonna fill the multiplexes with brainless humor, this is how you should do it. There's nothing award winning about this film. it has just as much crude humor and foul language as any other "comedy" they put out nowadays. But what sets the Pick of Destiny apart is that when they have a fart joke, they don't have that moment afterwards that says "This was a fart joke, isn't that funny?" There's a a certain level of sophistication to this movie in that they don't pause for laughter (Wayans Brothers, take note), they don't use elaborate setups for lame-ass jokes (jot that down, Mike Myers) and when they go to a new level of absurdity it doesn't feel completely out of place (I'm looking at you, Will Ferrell).

Also, it's a movie mad for stoners, by stoners, but also seemed to have a couple drafts done on the script without the use of THC so that the straights might get a few laughs. Leaving the theater, I felt like I should see it once more, but completely stoned out of my gourd, just to test my theory.

My advice, watch School of Rock before seeing this, and This is Spinal Tap immediately afterwards. One movie to avoid even thinking about before or after this movie is Cradle Will Rock. For those of you playing at home, Jack Black and Kyle Gass were in that movie together, and it wasn't anywhere close to Tenacious D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you saw this flick first and road-tested it for the rest of us. I'm really afraid the movie came out too far after the release of their debut album. And I'm afraid that now that Nickelodeon has Jack Black bought-and-paid-for, that it might have watered down the Tenacioius D flick.

I may actually go see this movie based solely on your review. If you decide to go see it ripped, gimme a call. THAT's got to be a good fucking time.