Jul 12, 2007

I don't have enough power, Captain!

This morning it started to rain. Hard. The kind of rainfall that could be misconstrued as a biblical prophecy. I was in the middle of my first job of the day, which involved painstakingly tracing a 20-year-old logo in Adobe Illustrator. With the rain outside getting harder and harder, I went in to save-files-every-ten-seconds mode...I learned my lesson years ago after losing five hours of work when the power went out in the middle of a big project.

I was almost done tracing when the lights went out. My computer was still on, but all the lights in the office were dead. I saved my work immediately, and it finished just in time for the rest of the power to die. I sat in total darkness for about a minute before the lights flickered back on. Three seconds later, all the lights started to strobe. I heard my boss in the other room scream out for a second, and with the strobing lights, I panicked, thinking that he was being electrocuted. Then, the lights were out completely again.

I went back to my office to unplug everything, in case of a surge when they come back on. I then noticed that the other computer in my office was still on. I tried turning my computer back on, but it wouldn't. I freaked out for a second, thinking that I had just fried my computer. As it turned out, our power was only running at 1/3 capacity. Some things worked, most things didn't. All we could do is unplug the sensitive stuff and wait for the electric company guys to come by.

So, I got a couple hours off today. I ran some errands, bought a couple used DVDs and grabbed an early lunch. I got back to work and had to wait a little longer for the power to be fixed. Byt hat time, My boss had some more work for me.


Tonight, I ordered my ticket for Weird Al Yankovic at the Brady Theater tomorrow night. At first, I was a bit worried about the fact that I wouldn't get a seat anywhere near my friends, but as I found out from my friends, they couldn't even get seats next to each other. Our only hope is to have a less than sold out crowd, a few empty seats together somewhere and some lenient ushers. It should be a lot of fun, even though my friends get to see Harry Potter in IMAX 3D in the afternoon while I'm stuck in a meeting most of that time. Stupid job!

No comments: