Jul 14, 2007

SNAWU: Situation normal, all weirded up

Last night, I had some friends come in from NW Arkansas, and we all went to see Weird Al Yankovic at the Brady Theater. It was a great show. Even though I kinda lost interest in his stuff for a few years, it was cool to hear some of those songs for the first time live.

Who would've thought that the goofy guy with the accordian who made Eat It would not only be around and at the top of his game nearly 25 years later. Not only that, but that he'd out live and outdo over half of the acts he's spoofed over the years.

I got my tickets later than my friends, so I had reserved myself to the fact that I'd have to sit far away from them for the show. The weird thing is that there were five empty seats next to me, but I didn't inform my friends of this because A) their seats were much, MUCH better, and B) there was a guy sitting next to me double-fisting Budweisers all night, screaming his head off, and had to be asked to settle down about five times by the ushers. I guess there's one at every concert.


This morning was the usual trip to the Farmer's Market, and I spent much of my time in the shade listening to the band, which I found out upon my arrival were my friends Cairde na Gael. Once the market wrapped up, we all went to the Wild Fork for lunch (we were bummed that we missed the breakfast hours). It was expensive, but it was damn good.

Afterward, I walked around Utica Square with Mary and Amy doing a little shopping. They went to the Gap, which this particular store was for women's and kid's clothes only. I joked that to even the score, they had to sit and wait while I shopped at the Hooters gift shop. Then, we went to a couple other shops, cruised by Wild Oats, and then headed home.

Two strange purchases I picked up today: At Walgreen's, they had Elvis-themed Reese's Peanut Butter Cups with Banana cream. I gave it the benefit of a doubt and bought a pack. Turns out the benefit of a doubt was way too generous than it deserved. My first clue that it was gonna be nasty was the fact that they used a picture of Fat Elvis for the packaging. The other thing I picked up, this time at Wild Oats, was some green tea flavored gum. Imagine chewing on a tea bag, only without the gritty texture. Of course, being a pack-a-day smoker, gum for me is generally a breath freshening agent. Green tea gum is probably a huge step in the opposite direction. On the other hand, it's not that bad. Keep in mind, I'm a guy who habitually chewed Black Jack and Beeman's gum for years! Gum so nasty that they only make it once a year!

Now, I'm resting up for a huge party tonight on a ranch outside of Sapulpa. Beer, live music, more beer and a pool. Oh, boy! this is either gonna be really fun, or it's gonna be fun to the point that I'll be embarrassed to talk about it tomorrow.

No comments: