Jul 22, 2007

When did pissing me off become a carnival game?

My drunken rant on Thursday was written before I had a chance to process it clearly. I spent much of Friday night in reflection of what led to that rant. I reached a certain clarity about it just before going out with a friend for some drinks.

In hindsight, I probably should've stayed home. Because by the end of the night, I found myself getting insulted all over again, for completely different reasons. I won't go into details because just thinking about those details just makes me more upset. Suffice to say, I found myself being defensive about a claim from a person who saw my defensiveness as ample evidence to support her claim...a classic catch-22 situation.

I don't mind being a foregone conclusion in many people's eyes. I've gotten used to that over the years. For example, if I tell you that I'm at home alone on a Friday night, it's a safe assumption that either online poker or a Star Wars movie is involved. What I absolutely hate is the notion that if they're right on one conclusion, that any and all other conclusions that they come up must be true as well. You may be right about the Star Wars, but to then assume I'm freeze-framing Leia in her gold bikini and lighting candles is just wrong. Frankly, I stopped doing that shit years ago.

Please keep in mind, the Star Wars thing is merely an example, not what I'm actually upset about at the moment.

And to make matters worse, when I dispute their claims, I'm always seen as being in denial. Even worse than that, apparently me being angry is "simply adorable". It's at this moment that I sympathize with people who go postal. Oh, how I fear that my last words on this earth, before getting shot dead by a S.W.A.T. team, will be the words, "Am I adorable now, motherfucker?"

I guess my point in all of this is that child psychology has it's time and place. If you insult me, please accept the fact that I'm insulted and try to make up for it. Don't try to smooth things over and prove you're right at the same time. That's like kicking me in the balls, laughing about it, and then offering me an ice pack by throwing it at my crotch.

No comments: