Aug 1, 2005


In November, 1971, John List murdered his entire family in cold blood, then disappeared for thirty years. The story behind these gruesome killings, as I understand it, went like this:

List had been unemployed for some time and could not find work. His family enjoyed a rather luxurious lifestyle, so this bad news would've devastated them. So, he faked going to work, living off family savings, then borrowed money, until the time to fess up became unavoidable. However, List believed that his family wouldn't get into heaven if they had to live with the stigma of being poor. So, he killed them...then disappeared. When he was caught, he was completely unrepentant. He truly believed he did the right thing.

Wonderful story, huh? I think about this more than I care to admit. Not that I'm wanting to kill my family because my account is overdrawn...let me explain.

What List failed to realize, was that one room in his house had a Tiffany ceiling fixture that was worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. It was enough to solve ALL of his problems. If only he had looked beyond the problem, or in this case, just look UP, he wouldn't have had to resort to such desperate measures.

Not that my problems are that severe, but it seems like I'm just treading water sometimes. I see the solution right above me and I just can't reach it. But I keep trying because, judging by the preceding story, the alternative is just not in my nature.

This pic was taken last September, after my friends Wayne & Regina's wedding reception and several glasses of wine. Then I was single, flying solo to a wedding, and the sign behind me had meaning.

No comments: