Aug 22, 2005

Realizations


Today, it felt like everything I've done well recently is only because everyone in my immediate vicinity is just doing so bad. I'm now a good worker because so many people I work with are so inept. My brother's antics make me the good son by default. I kinda have the feeling that I'm only a good boyfriend because every one that came before me was such a dick.

I was alone in my office today. The other artist was on vacation, and her lazy mistakes from last week came back full force. I'm not looking forward to the verbal lashing she's gonna get tomorrow morning, because it's all gonna reflect back on me. The thing you gotta understand, when my boss gets frustrated, it's a blast to watch, unless you're in his path. I which case, it's like giving a little kid an uzi...it's not short, controlled bursts, it's all over the place. The best you can do is hide under a desk and pray.

And, it's been four days without a cigarette. When I stop having the cravings, I'll stop mentioning it on the blog.

Yesterday, Candy, her friend Jason, and I went to go see The 40-Year-Old Virgin. It was hilarious. Some parts I was laughing and cringing at the same time, because it reminded me of my many failed exploits as a youth. it all surpised me, though. This flick had the potential to be a one-trick pony, but it was very well-written. The characters could easily have been two-dimensional, but each character had a surprising depth to them. Paul Rudd killed me, as he normally does, as a guy who's still obsessed with his ex-girlfriend after being broken up for two years, and spends the rest of the movie trying to move on. In an average movie, that would told through an endless series of sight gags, not infused into the language and mannerisms of the character as it is here. I highly recommend it.

Finally, I decided to try a different approach with one of my stories. I made it into a blog. What I write will, hopefully be a combination of three stories I've been working on over the past few years, all surrounding the same character. I'll be taking some of my real life experiences, but with the following rules:

1. Any bad situation that happened in real life must be worsened for dramatic effect.
2. Any good situation from real life must have a catch to it.
3. Anything boring from real life will be done the complete opposite in the story.
4. Any bad relationship should be based on a bad habit in real life.
5. Any good relationship should be based on a real life regret.

Some things may sound a bit obvious to some in my life, but it's not. For anyone who thinks otherwise, I will be happy to explain what it's really about, if I must. If you wish to check my progress, check out http://declanmacmanus.blogspot.com/

Today's pic is of a fountain downtown. It's part of my morgue file of textures.

No comments: