Aug 30, 2005

Talking to myself


Wisdom: wiz-dum (n.) The resolute knowledge that with each new day you are less of a moron than the day before.

This is gonna sound completely nuts, but every once and a while, I imagine having a conversation with my former self. I think back to a pivotal time in my life, and talk to that guy I used to be. Mostly, because I knew back at that time I was a total moron, and I know I needed some help. In these conversations, I have one rule: Don't give away any information about the future. I only offer advice on the present.

I told twelve-year-old self, a kid still reeling from the death of his father, that everything was gonna be alright. I told a confused, suicide-obsessed fifteen-year-old that he should turn off the Smiths every once and a while and live a little. A twenty-one-year old that just lost his job that something better will come along, and I gave the same advice to myself after every breakup.

Today, I think I may have done this again, but the other way. I had so much stressing me out at work, but a weird sense of calm came over me halfway through the day, like someone was pointing me in the right direction. Although, I did think this voice I heard called me a moron under his breath.

Here's today's pic: Mmmmm...cake... This was the groom's cake at my friends Wayne & Regina's wedding reception. It was almost a shame to eat it.

No comments: